With everything going on in the world, we’ve taken the time to truly appreciate the little things this summer – meaning spending time with our community, enjoying the outdoors, and, of course, indulging in some self care via cannabis.
There’s less than two weeks until the Labor Day weekend and not much time left to spend lounging in the sun with our friends and family. You’re probably looking for ways to end the summer on a high note, and there’s nothing more perfect for that than hosting your very first cannabis-infused meal. When you’re new to cooking with cannabis, the prospect can seem daunting…and even if you’ve done it before, it can be easy to get stuck exclusively making tried-and-true recipes (hello, special brownies!) Have no fear, because we’ve compiled this handy guide with links to recipes you can recreate to host the perfect holiday picnic.
First and foremost, you’ll need to decide what method you’ll use to infuse your food. Depending on what you make, some components – like cannabis-infused butter or oil – are better suited for certain foods. Example: Canna-butters are best used for baking, creamy pastas, and other comfort foods while canna-oils would work best in sauces, salad dressings, and marinades.
These are not strict rules, however, but will help guide you on making the best dosing and tasting decisions for your meal. Additionally, you can also add purchased tinctures to foods, but because of the high alcohol content, the taste can be a barrier. Plus, heating a finished tincture can render the cannabinoids less effective. Therefore, we recommend using tinctures as a “finishing touch” or in cocktails.
For the mains
Some staples come to mind when planning a summer picnic, like grilled meat, hearty stew, or fresh fruit salads. Use these ideas to guide you while still letting yourself be inventive.
- Beef and Bean Marijuana Chili. This recipe packs a punch not only in flavor but in dosage; each serving is intended to have around 20mg THC, so adjust as desired.
- Cannabis-Infused BBQ Sauce. Though this recipe incorporates “canna-honey” rather than butter or oil, this sauce is sure to be a hit at your gathering and can easily be personalized to meet tastes.
- Grilled Fish Tacos with Green Ganja Chile Sauce. If you want to surprise and delight your guests, try switching up expectations with this light dish. Note: You’ll likely want to double the recipe to serve a group.
Stoner-worthy side dishes
What’s a picnic without pairings? Cannabis doesn’t have to be the “main event” of your meal but can instead be infused into your favorite side dishes to enhance the experience.
- Medicated Mac & Cheese. You knew this was coming – this classic dish is taken to a whole new level thanks to a generous amount of canna-butter and, if desired, as many add-ins as you’d like.
- Cannabis Strawberry Vinaigrette with Burrata Salad. If you’re in the mood for something light and refreshing, look no further than this perfect summer salad with infused dressing, with several types of oil (or even tincture) to use as a base.
- Mango Mint CBD Salsa. When you’re looking for medicinal benefits of cannabis without the high, incorporating CBD oil or tincture is simple. Want a ratio? Try adding our RAIR 1:1 Watermelon Mint Tincture with 200mg THC/CBD.
A little dessert can’t hurt
Everyone already associates cannabis cooking with sweet treats, but there’s no reason why you can’t get creative with them. Rather than the standards, challenge yourself with one of the below options.
- Cannabis Ice Cream. Yep, such a thing does exist…but this recipe is not for the faint of heart! Rather than infused butter or oil, it turns to canna-whipping cream to create everyone’s favorite summer snack.
- Cannabis-Infused Salted Coconut Caramels. The addition of coconut (using infused coconut oil, of course) gives this go-to a twist perfect for any outdoor meal in the heat of summer.
- Cannabis-Infused Olive Oil Citrus Cake. Surprise your guests with an unexpected, vibrant cake that calls to mind what would be served at a gourmet restaurant. Each serving contains between 11-14mg THC.
Drinks on us
As we stated above, tinctures are well suited for making cannabis-infused cocktails and drinks. Whether you want something strong or a sip of something sweet and refreshing, there’s a recipe out there that will wow your guests.
- Cannabis-Infused Red Wine Sangria. We love sangria as it stands normally, so adding in cannabis just makes us adore it even more. Remember: Combining alcohol and cannabis can lead to a particularly strong concoction, so enjoy responsibly or choose grape juice.
- Ginger Rabbit – Infused Ginger + Carrot Cocktail. Combining the sweet and savory flavors of carrot and infused ginger simple syrup, this cannabis cocktail gives a booze-free high with a low dose of THC and 8mg CBD.
Sugar Free Lavender Lemonade with CBD. Looking for something even lighter? Try this simple recipe incorporating the herbal taste and smell of lavender with your favorite CBD tincture. Plus, you can make it with no sugar!